Glass Block Shower Benefits
Style and looks. "Cool, clean, and contemporary."
Easy cleaning. Multiple patterns make it very hard to see spotting on the glass block's surface. The units can be cleaned with soap and water or window cleaners.
Walk in glass block showers eliminate the need for a door — saving you from having to clean the mess around the door's frame.
Durability and eco-friendliness. Blocks are mortared or grouted (with a unique vinyl stacking process) together for excellent durability and last long for sustainability.
Increased privacy. Obscure wave and icespaces patterns will allow light transmission and obscure views.
Design flexibility. Check out the many designs, decorative colors, frosted and glass tile blocks. Combining patterns can create an extraordinary shower.
Purchasing from a company you can trust. We are accredited by the Better Business Bureau and have won Consumers' Choice Award and Angie's List Awards for service.
Savings. We start with your ideas and turn them into completed projects, saving you money on materials and installation. Here are five ways we can reduce your costs.
- Hire a skilled "one-stop shop." Although some masons and tile setters dabble in glass block installations, a specialty contractor who can coordinate and execute your project from beginning to end is best. We perform the initial design and layout; supply and install an acrylic, expanded polystyrene or solid surface shower pan; prefabricate and install wall sections; provide and install waterproof backer boards and urethane grout.
- Stack straight, angled or curved prefab glass block wall sections. Premade straight and curved walls are easier and less costly to build and install. We use our vinyl stack spacing system to reduce installation times and make the project doable for a DIY'er or professional contractor.
- Use thinner series blocks. Use the 3 1/8" thickness blocks from Mulia Inc. to save money. These blocks come in finished ends, curves and 90 degree angles.
- Design a walk-in glass block shower without a door - eliminates the cost of the door & gets rids of the pain of cleaning the door frame.
- Purchase all the accessories you need from one place - get your shower base, recessed niches, corner seat, wall board, grout, and glass block bathroom window with your walls. You can now get your entire project designed, supplied, and installed (in our regional markets) so that everything works together seamlessly.
Improving function by adding shower accessories and waterproofing. Include a soap and shampoo niche, bench or corner seat, and towel bar or grab bar, or use urethane grout and waterproof wallboard for a waterproof installation.
Free design and technical installation assistance.
Free shipping. We offer free shipping nationwide for glass block shower kits and pre-fabricated wall sections, with no hidden fees or costs. We ship anywhere in the United States, from Washington to Texas to New York to Florida.
- Glass Blocks
Glass Block and Walk-In Shower Product Lines & Designs
Selecting the right glass block shower system can be as easy as following these 5 steps:
- Step 1 – Design
- Step 2 – Choose the right glass blocks
- Step 3 – Choose the right shower base
- Step 4 – Choose the best prefabrication system
- Step 5 – Follow the installation steps
Step 1 – Design
Creating a glass block shower begins with a design which will work for you and your family – now and into the future. We’ll be glad to help in this process. Think about the following:
- How much space is there for the shower?
- Do you want a walk in shower?
- Will the shower be in the corner of the room (and need two glass walls) or will it be an alcove shower (with one wall in the front?)
- Do you want keep the drain or shower heads in the same place?
Send us a rough sketch (hand drawn is fine) and we can do an initial layout.
Step 2 - Choose the right glass blocks for your shower
There are 3 series of glass blocks available:
- Thinner 3 1/8” series – Most cost effective with less weight
- Thicker 3 7/8” series – Available in highest privacy pattern
- Specialty colored, frosted, etched or glass tile units
Thinner 3 1/8” Glass Block Series for Shower WallsNew Item!
Thinner Glass Block Series for Shower Walls
Consider using 3 1/8" thickness blocks from Mulia to reduce costs and to add some design options not available in the 4" thick units. Some of the advantages of these blocks include:
- More cost effective than 4" thick blocks
- Lighter weight – easier to maneuver and install.
- Increased design options – available in traditional "Wave" pattern and new "Clear" see-through pattern to create an improved look at your inside walls.
- Provide more room inside the shower – an especially important factor for tub to glass block shower conversion projects.
- Vinyl stack prefabricated wall systems available to reduce installation time and improve finished quality.
- Blocks are available in Wave and Clear patterns in finished ends, rounded blocks for curves (called "Radial" blocks for 22 1/2 degree angles), and 90 degree angle glass blocks (called "Veer" blocks).
Thicker 3 7/8” Glass Block Series for Shower Walls
Time-tested and versatile describes the 3 7/8” series of glass blocks.
- Icescapes pattern offers highest privacy in a full range of shapes.
- NEO angle showers can be constructed using the 45 degree “tridron” block.
- Vinyl stack prefabricated wall systems available to reduce installation time and improve finished quality.
- Offers 6" x 8" x 4" End block.
- American made from Pittsburgh Corning.
Specialty Colored, Frosted, Etched & Glass Tile Blocks
Why not make your shower unique by adding specialty touches – including colored, frosted or etched glass blocks? Innovate Building Solutions has the widest range of options available.
- Specialty blocks are available in multiple sizes, shapes and patterns.
- Small minimum order quantities.
- Custom design assistance.
- Etched murals are available for a custom look.
- Can be used in prefabricated wall sections.
(Note: Find Step 3 in 'Choose the right glass block shower base' in the next tab)
- Shower Bases
Step 3 - Choose the right glass block shower base
Since the shower base is the “foundation” of your glass block shower – the selection of the right system is critical. Learn below advantages and disadvantages of the 3 most popular glass block shower kit systems – ready for tile, acrylic and solid surface bases.
Ready for tile glass block shower base & kits
100% Waterproof Expanded Polystyrene Walk-In Shower Base and Accessory System
The ready for tile shower base is available in standard and custom sizes and is made of 100% waterproof expanded polystyrene. It has no seams and is light and quick to install.
- 100% waterproof polystyrene walk-in shower base eliminates the potential for water leaks and growth of mold and mildew.
- Reduced installation timeof less than 30 minutes leads to reduce labor costs.
- Trowel out common modified-latex thinset.
- Run a bead of silicone around the drain body.
- Install the pre-designed and pre-slopped pan.
- Choice of drain location saves you from having to rework your plumbing to accommodate a pre-determined drain location. We put the drain where it works best for you.
- Custom base for non-standard sizes and walk-in and roll-in showers allows you to design to suit your needs. Custom bases can be manufactured to fit any shower size or shape (with straight, rounded, or angled walls), either with a curb or without, for barrier-free entry.
- Seamless design enhances waterproofing and incorporates accessories and features. We install wallboard inside the base to eliminate leakage, at a lower cost than a custom designed solid surface base.
- Accessory System A recessed soap dish, shampoo caddy, and shower and bench seats are available for a complete system.
- Initial purchase costs are slightly higher than a mud-set pan.
Acrylic Glass Block Shower Base & Kits
Our pre-formed acrylic bases work well for bath-to-shower conversions and are available in three sizes. Two fit in the space of a typical bathtub, while the largest size is more expansive. Our kits offer the versatility of either right-hand or left-hand entry, are available in white or biscuit, and feature either the Icescapes, Decora or Wave patterns.
- One-piece acrylic base minimizes concerns about water leakage.
- Acrylic won’t crack, chip, peel, or fade.
- The installation of a kit necessitates less project coordination than assembling separate components. (Note: Bases can be custom-made of other solid-surface materials, like Corian.)
- Our pre-formed acrylic bases only come in three sizes (72” x 51”, 60” x 34”, and 60” x 32”), none of which might fit your particular project.
- It can be difficult to get some bases into remodeled homes.
- More expensive than mud-set pans.
Solid Surface Glass Block Shower Base & Kits
Our solid surface glass block shower bases are made by combining aluminum trihydrate crystals with specially formulated resins which add flexibility and strength. The result is a durable, grout free shower base with a wide variety of color, shape and finish options.
Custom bases can be designed for any type of design – curved, straight or angle walls. Whether you want to create a walk in shower or design with a curve - a solid surface base can be created for you.
Different curb options are available including low profile, a built in ramp for an accessible handicap shower design or a full height curb.
All bases are a single unit for a worry free easy installation.
100% waterproof designs eliminates the worry of water leaks or the growth of mold or mildew.
Grout free shower wall panels, accessories and trim moldings are available to compliment your base and prefabricated glass block wall.
There is no finishing material needed over the base – this saves money vs. having to add tile to the surface – and reduces maintenance over the long run.
Solid surface bases are heavier than acrylic and ready for tile shower pans.
These bases are generally more expensive than acrylic and ready for tile units.
(Note: Find Steps 4 & 5 in 'Choose the right glass block prefabrication system' in the next tab)
Step 4 - Choosing the right glass block prefabrication system
For the professional contractor or the DIY’er our “Protect All” vinyl stacking prefabricated glass block shower wall sections will provide the following benefits:
Check out our installation videos in the 'Video' tab above.
- Reduce the installation time
- Make it possible for a “first-timer” to do a dramatic glass block wall
- Cut installation costs
- Improve finished quality
- Reduce the grout joint sizes to 1/8”
- Increase wall sturdiness
- Eliminate the chance of rusted wire in a wall
Step 5 - Follow the installation steps
The best way to learn about this installation is to watch the 3 shower wall and base installation videos in the last tab in this section. Included below you’ll find some images of key steps in the process.
Glass Block Shower Installation Details
Frequently Asked Questions
1.) What are the different advantages of a doorless glass blcok shower and one with a door?
Showers with doors work better in smaller areas or where you want to create a closed space, such as in a steam room. Walk-in glass block showers offer ease of cleaning and facilitate walk-in or roll-in access.
2.) What type of pan do I need?
The three most common types of panes are (A) one-piece expanded polystyrene (B) pre-formed acrylic and solid surface and (C) custom mud-set pans.
3.) What sizes, shapes, and colors of glass blocks do you carry?
We carry various sizes, shapes, and patterns of glass block to fit your space and design requirements. Frosted and colored glass blocks can also add impact and flair to a wall.
4.) How tall should I make my glass block shower?
Most walls are 80" high (and built on a 4" to 5" shower curb), making the finished height 84" (equal to where the shower head usually is).
5.) Should I have my walls built on site or arrive prefabricated?
Straight and rounded walls can often be pre-fabricated to save money, improve quality, and reduce installation time. Purchasing a base specifically designed for the premade walls will ensure a successful project.
6.) What materials should I use for the interior walls? Should the blocks be installed before my interior walls?
Cement board or extruded polystyrene waterproof backer board are used most frequently. For a more luxurious look, consider tile, marble, or other solid surface materials. To keep costs lower, consider acrylic wall surrounds. In most cases, glass blocks are installed after the other wall materials.
7.) How can I add a unique style to the glass block walls?
Use color, frost, or do one-of-a-kind laser etching for a unique design.
Glass Block Shower Design Ideas
Glass Block Shower Installation VideosVisit Our YouTube Channel »
How to Install a Curved Glass Block Shower Wall
How to Install a Prefabricated Wall in a Bathroom Remodeling Project
- Learn what tools you need for the project.
- Calculate how large to make your sections.
- See the advantages of urethane grout.
- Use murals and glass tiles for style.
How to Install a Custom Waterproof Shower Base
How to Grout a Glass Block Wall Using Erethan Grout
Glass Block Product & Design Videos
How to Design a Glass Block Shower
- Learn how to go from a rough design to a finished project where all the components work together.
- Use premade sections to improve quality and save money.
- Choose a wall backer, grout (urethane preferably), and accessories.
Thinner Glass Blocks for Shower, Wall & Bar Projects Save Time and Money
In this video you’ll learn how thinner glass block shapes can save time and money for a shower, wall or bar project.
How to Choose a Custom Shower Base for a Glass Block Wall
Glass Block Shower & Walk-In Designs
A glass block shower can provide a clean, contemporary look that makes cleaning a breeze. Learn how Innovate Building Solutions provides a one-stop solution with a broad line of glass block products, standard and custom shower base kits and design assistance for to take your bathroom remodeling project to the next level.