Increased safety. A well placed decorative grab bar or shower seat will minimize the chance of injury and improve looks.
Improved function. Installing the right showerhead, valve, or handheld shower can make this wet room safer, more therapeutic and can minimize water coming out (in the case of a walk-in shower).
Added usable space. A recessed or corner soap dish will add storage, prolong the life of your soap, reduce hard-to-clean soapy residue, and minimize slippery floors.
No repair costs in the future. Using a waterproof shower base (consider ready for tile and acrylic options here) and crack-resistant urethane grout can eliminate big repair bills down the road.
Style. In the fashion industry it is said that accessories make the outfit. Besides improving functionality, accessories can also add style and dramatic impact to your shower.
Solution to the problem of rotten wood. Wooden window frames and window sills often rot, especially in bathrooms. A long-term solution to this problem is to install a frameless glass block replacement window, which will increase privacy and be maintenance-free.
Added value. Most Americans are not using a bath tub any more. Converting a bathtub into a shower can add resale value to your home.
Purchased from a company you can trust. We are accredited by the Better Business Bureau and have won service awards through Consumer’s Choice.
Free design and technical installation assistance. When we start a bathroom remodeling project and installation, our project specialists begin with the end in mind – we design the shower before we begin the construction. Letting our team help you with design ideas, supply, and installation (in selected markets) of your shower walls and accessories will eliminate the guesswork.
Free nationwide shipping . With no hidden shipping fees or costs, we ship anywhere in the United States, from Washington to Texas to New York to Florida.
- Product Lines & Designs
Product Lines & Designs
Luxuria line of decorative shower and bathroom accessories
The Luxuria collection does double duty: it adds a modern, stylish look and increases safety. The products in this collection come with a 350-pound weight capacity and are available in white or chrome. Your bath or shower will look cool and you'll reduce the chance of slipping and falling without your space looking like a hospital!
Ready for tile line
Creating a waterproof niche for a tile shower has never been easier. Our expanded polystyrene shampoo and soap niches are simply nailed into the wood studs and then tiled over.
Make a safer, more relaxing and useful space with a bench or corner seat or ladies leg ledge
Stop the nasty task of cleaning grout! Take the hassle out of grouted walls by using urethane grout.
Extruded Polystyrene Wall Backer Board
The Wedi wall board is waterproof and easy to work with.
Drain & Strainer Kits
To tie in your plumbing and base use a PVC drain and strainer kit (finishes include chrome, brushed nickel, oil rubber bronze)
Brazilian Walnut Fold Down Seat
Save space and add comfort and luxury with this durable fold down seat
Glass or Acrylic Block Window
- For tile and glass block walls and floors use urethane grout to minimize maintenance.
- Use our free design service before ordering a shower base or prefabricated glass block wall.
- If you want to install a seat in a small shower, consider using a teak or Brazilian walnut fold-down seat.
- Provide a final measurement for your shower door after installation of your walls. Measure at the top, middle, and bottom of the opening.
- If you have limited space and need to reduce clutter, include recessed soap dishes and shampoo niches in your design.
How to install a semi-frameless shower door system in a glass block wall in 5 steps
1. Measure the opening between the walls.
2. Use a high-grade silicone adhesive to adhere the bottom track to the shower curb.
3.Mark and drill holes through the grout joints (approximately every 16" to 24").
4.Fill the drilled holes with high-grade silicone adhesive and install plastic wall anchors.
5.Pre-drill holes in the door’s vertical track, install screws through the vertical tracks, and then install the frameless shower door system.
How to install a waterproof backer board for a tiled wall in 6 steps
1. Using a utility knife, cut the backer board panels to size.
2. Attach the first panel with non-rusting screws. Use one fastener every 12" for walls and one every 6" for a ceiling.
3. Apply a continuous 1/2" bead of wedi polyurethane joint sealant around the panel edges. Butt the next panel tight to the first panel.
4.Once the panels are set, install washers with tabs every 12". Make sure that the washer heads are dimpled below the surface of the backer board panel.
5.Spread all excess sealant flat over the joints by using a putty knife.
6.Apply wedi fiberglass mesh sealing tape over the seams and fastener heads.
Frequently Asked Questions
1.) How do I select the right glass block shower base? What options are available?
First, determine what material you’d like to use to finish your shower floor. Would you prefer a seamless, solid surface or one with grouted joints? We offer either of these options. Ready for tile and acrylic are the most popular styles.
Next, determine whether you need a standard or custom size. Acrylic pans come in standard sizes (60” x 32”, 60” x 34”, and 72” x 51”). Ready-for-tile bases are available in virtually any size or shape.
Finally, account for any special needs or plumbing restrictions that will affect the design of your shower. Expanded polystyrene bases are suitable in accessible and ADA-compliant showers, because they can be installed barrier-free. Additionally, expanded polystyrene pans allow you to choose the location of the drain, which will save you money on plumbing work. (Acrylic units for glass block showers are only available in standard sizes with step-over curbs and drains in fixed locations.)
2.) Can I incorporate a bench, corner, or fold down seat or shaving leg ledge?
Yes. The simplest way to include a seat is to use a waterproof expanded polystyrene preformed pan. It will save you installation time, ensure a waterproof seal, and eliminate the aggravation of building your own framed seat.
A brazilian walnut type of seat is naturally resistant to water and three times stronger than teak.The Brazilian walnut shower seat has a 15” concealed wall mount and supports up to 450 pounds. It folds away and does not need to be locked into place.
3.) What type of shower door should I choose?
Doors come in three basic types: frameless, semi-frameless, and completely framed. The semi-frameless and frameless look much better with a glass block shower.
4.) What accessories will improve the function, looks, and safety of my shower?
Installation of well placed soap dishes, shampoo niches, and decorative towel bars and grab bars will make your space less hazardous, keep it neater and easier to clean, and increase its accessibility for all members of your family, regardless of their physical capabilities.
5.) During my bathroom remodel, I want to design the most waterproof and water-resistant space possible – what products and installation do you recommend?
Invest in the highest-quality grout and wall backer board. Although you can use a standard sanded grout or a specialized urethane grout for high levels of performance, we recommend urethane grout over sanded grout for the following reasons:
- Urethane grout has high crack resistance and semi-flexible/low shrinkage.
- It provides the highest level of water resistance.
- It is self-sealing (sanded grout requires sealing).
- The color of urethane grout won’t fade or streak, even when wet. Additionally, its colors are UV-stable and won’t yellow in the sun.
- It has a long shelf life. Any unused urethane grout can be saved for later use.
- Urethane grout is premixed and ready to use.
- It is resistant to stains and most household chemical products.
- Urethane grout can be used in grout joints between 1/16" and 1/2" on vertical or horizontal surfaces, for interior or exterior projects, and on glass, ceramic, porcelain, or natural stone tiles.
Wall backer boards for water-resistant or waterproof shower systems.
What is used behind the shower wall surrounds is critical. You can either use a water-resistant cement backer board or a waterproof extruded polystyrene backer board. Here are the advantages and disadvantages of each.
Water-resistant cement backer boards
For lower initial costs, use cement backer board behind grouted tile and marble walls.Advantages
- Low purchase price
- Widely available
- Messy and hard to cut
- Heavy (about 50 lbs per sheet), making it difficult to handle
- Although water-resistant, not waterproof
- Makes installation of recessed shampoo/soap more difficult niches
- Higher installation labor costs
Waterproof extruded polystyrene backer boards
Although moisture-resistant backer board will work, if you’re looking for the security of a waterproof space invest in extruded polystyrene wall backer board.Advantages
- Easy to cut, with no mess
- Light (less than 9 lbs per sheet) and easy to handle
- Waterproof, with no expensive repairs as a result of water damage
- Ready-made soap and shampoo niches fit directly inside the studs
- Reduced installation time and expense
- High initial purchase price
6.) How do I select the right showerhead, valve, and plumbing fixtures ?
Countless showerheads, valves, and drain kits are available . A standard wall-mounted showerhead can be the most cost-effective. For a gentler flow of water that minimizes water splashing, consider the rain style unit (these are an excellent choice for a walk-in shower). Those with special needs or children usually prefer a hand-held shower for greater flexibility, accessibility, and ease of use. Choosing the right drain for your remodeling project also matters. Round drains are widely available and cost-effective, but you may want to consider a square or trench drain for their looks and ease of installation.
7.) I want to add a window without adding maintenance or sacrificing privacy. What do you recommend?
Shower and bathroom windows can be a challenge to maintain – often the trim around the window deteriorates or rots. As well, many windows do not protect your privacy. Choices to consider are a glass block window, acrylic block or obscure glass vinyl window. You can vary the level of privacy and light transmission and glass block windows are easy to clean and maintenance-free!
Glass block shower window
This style of window offers privacy and is easy to clean. There are two options - frameless and vinyl framed windows. Consider adding colored or frosted glass blocks for more personality.
For new construction projects, an excellent product to use is the vinyl framed glass block window. This window can be nailed into the opening just like a traditional unit. It affords the same privacy, light transmission, and customizable options as a frameless style.
How to Install a Custom Waterproof Shower BaseVisit Our YouTube Channel »
How to Waterproof a Tile Shower or Tub Using a Kerdi Backboard System
How to Grout a Glass Block Wall Using Urethane Grout
How to Choose the Right Shower Accessories
In this video you'll learn:
- How to design shower accessories into the space before beginning construction.
- About accessory options including – soap dishes, shampoo holders, shower seats, and grab bars.
- Using different types of shower seats (fold down, corner, bench seat) depending on size available.
How to Choose a Custom Shower Base for a Glass Block Wall
In this video you'll learn about:
- Standard sizes of acrylic glass block shower bases.
- How to use a custom ready for tile pan to save time & money.
- How to identify 2 types of shower curb designs.
- How to coordinate the design or prefab wall sections with your base design.
- Which types of custom shower bases are available.
Accessories for Glass Block Showers
The right accessories will complete the design for your glass block shower installation. Incorporating a well chosen shower base, door, window, bench or seat, shampoo/soap niche, wall board, or towel bar can improve the looks and function of your bathroom and can even save you money.
- Grout Colors (914 Downloads)