Benefits of a Picture Window
Picture windows can provide the following benefits:
Improved outside views. Because a picture window is one large expanse of glass, it provides unobstructed views of front, back, or side yards.
Affordability. Because picture windows do not have any moving parts, they tend to cost less than a comparably sized operable window.
Maximized light transmission. Its large size allows the picture window to transmit lots of natural light to the inside of a home.
Added curb appeal and architectural interest. Available in many shapes (including square, rectangular, and arched), a picture window can modernize an exterior and enhance curb appeal by highlighting an aspect of your home’s interior.
Heat gain during the winter. Picture windows can be an important part of passive solar design, because they let in large amounts of daylight to cost-effectively and naturally warm your home on a sunny winter day.
- Products and Uses
Fixed Picture Window Product Features
Picture windows from Alside and Polaris Window & Door have these features:
- Vinyl frames and sashes that won’t crack, chip, or peel
- Fusion-welded frames and main structures for strength and rigidity (available on most models)
- Insulated glass and warm edge spacer system
- Multi-chamber sash and mainframes for improved energy efficiency
- Sloped sills that drain water to the outside
- Triple weatherstripping for improved protection from air and water entering
- Can be manufactured in a wide range of sizes
Where to Use Picture Windows
Family rooms, great rooms, living rooms, and kitchens are where these windows are used most.
Picture Window Design Options
Add style and reduce energy costs with these options (note: options will vary by product lines):
Decorative window grids and grilles. Grids placed inside insulated glass keep window cleaning simple. Various grid options include Colonial, Diamond, Prairie, and Double Prairie.
Wood grain interior veneer finishes. We offer a wide range of interior wood grain looks to complement any décor. Options vary per window type and include light, medium, and dark oak, cherry, and foxwood.
Exterior vinyl frame colors. Choose colors to match or contrast with your home’s exterior. We offer many trim options to accent the curb appeal of your home, including tan, brick red, green, white, brown, black, beige, bronze, clay, and gray.
Upgraded glass packages. Lower your home heating and cooling costs by upgrading to premium glass for increased energy efficiency.
Self-cleaning glass. This technology prevents the adhesion of dirt and debris to the glass, while rain or light water spray rinses it away.
Video: How to Choose Vinyl Replacement Windows
Visit Our YouTube Channel »
In this video you will learn:
- How to choose the right type of vinyl replacement house window.
- Where to use a casement, picture, double hung, bay, bow or sliding window.
- How to use decorative colors, woodgrain finishes and etched & leaded glass to add to compliment your décor.
Picture windows are large windows that usually cannot be opened and provide expansive views to the outside, letting large amounts of light into a room. They are available in square, rectangular, and arched styles.