Structural Glass Floor, Staircases & Glass Block Paver Flooring
Structural glass and glass block flooring systems can provide the following benefits in commercial, architectural, retail, and residential buildings:
Light transmission from upper to lower levels. Glass walkways, bridges, and staircases allow light to pass from upper to lower levels, while providing a functional and structurally sound surface for foot traffic. Use of glass floor planks or pavers in these applications enhances daylighting, which cuts energy costs. In addition it provides a more productive environment in a workplace and more of an open, contemporary feel in a home.
High privacy or a see-through design. If you want the light but are worried about the modesty of people walking on the floor above - there is no need to be concerned. These glass units come in obsure (acid etched) units which provide complete privacy to those on upper floors. If you do want direct sight through the glass (examples include water features or a cool lower level view like a wine cellar) our clear glass will be the right choice.
A dramatic design element. Whether you're choosing structural laminated glass or a glass block paver system, we offer a wide range of surface designs that are both safe and stylish. We can also customize the laminated flooring system by screening a pattern into the interior layer - how cool is that?
Engineering support for interior and exterior projects in commercial, retail, or residential homes. Our glass floor systems (which not only include the glass but the supporting aluminum framework as well) are engineered to safely support high levels of weight. We can assist you to design a structurally sound system which will stand the test of time and weight loads of even a crowded dance floor!
Can be installed within different surrounding floor materials. Glass floor systems can be put into wood, tile, stone, or concrete floors. We can provide structural details - and assist your construction or architectural team - in the right way to prepare the opening for our system.
Easily installed and replaced modular system. Our glass floors and pavers are set inside a lightweight structural aluminum grid system. This makes them both easy to install and replace if breakage were to occur. This system can span 7'6" without additional supports.
- Products & Uses
Structural Glass Floor Tile and Plank System
This glass floor system combines a structural aluminum grid with laminated glass floor tiles that fit inside the grid. The laminated glass tiles consist of a top layer tempered for impact resistance and one or more heat-strengthened bottom layers that are bonded with a clear interlayer. Each floor system comes as a complete kit with all glass tiles and aluminum parts cut to individual project specifications. These glass floor planks can be made into various sizes, shapes with different levels of obscurity to match most any design.
Sizes & Glass Pattern/Frame Options:
- Glass units can range in size from 12" square to 48" square. Pieces can be made into various shapes including rectangles, angles, circles etc.
- Custom glass shapes can be created up to 16 square feet in area per unit. Floors can be made much larger than 16 square feet with the proper supporting structure.
- Slip resistance is achieved through the use of a ceramic based frit which is permanently heat fused to the walking surface. There are 4 standard "frit" patterns - but custom patterns are also available. For the most sight through the floor consider using the "horizontal perforation" or Industrial looking "boiler plate" patterns. For maximum slip resistance the "dot" and "mezzo" patterns are best.
- Translucent patterns are available using a fully etched obscurity frit or a stain etch finish. Technographic interlayers can be added with leaf or other designs.
- Aluminum grids comes in a standard clear anodized finish or custom color are also availalble.
Glass Staircase and Stair Treads
The GlassWalk ST system can accommodate glass stair tread spans up to 48" with supports on only 2 sides. This system uses a 3 ply stair tread which is 1.325" thick. The treads are made with ceramic frit baked on to the walking surface to maximize slip resistance. There are choices of various stair patterns to choose from. The steps can either use see-through (clear) or acid etched (obscure high privacy) glass.
Glass Block Paver Floors and Walkways
Solid glass paver and glass block walkways are available in an aluminum grid system and also fabricated into concrete panels. The IBP solid glass paver system uses an aluminum grid and a neoprene (rubber) boot which encloses the sides and bottom edges of the paver to provide a cushion between the glass and aluminum structure. Silicone sealant is applied to the small channel around each individual paver. The system comes complete with the perimeter pieces, spanning members, spacer members, paver boots, paver units, and sealant. There also hollow glass block systems and systems which are both water resistant and waterproof.
Sizes & Pattern Options:
8" x 8" x 1' solid glass paver units.
Where to use Glass Flooring
Some common places where glass floors have been used include:
- Malls, shopping centers for pedestrian walkways
- Medical centers or hospitals
- Contemporary or traditional residential homes
- Town & civic centers
- Schools, universities and hospitals
- Courthouses, municipal buildings, and justice centers and mass transit systems
- Commercial buildings
- Exterior and interior water features
- Dance floors
Frequently Asked Questions
1.) Can a glass floor provide adequate privacy for women wearing skirts walking above?
Yes – by using either an obscure (acid etched) glass floor or a sandblaster or obscure glass paver block there will be no ability for someone below to see through the glass floor above (yet light will still move through the flooring system).
2.) Can someone fall through the floor?
Since the glass floor or paver system is designed with the glass and aluminum support structure to accommodate weight loads of up to 2,000 lbs in a 4' x 4' area (with no movement) the chance of the floor breaking from weight is extremely remote (as a matter of face glass dance floors have many people on them at one time).
3.) Which system provides the most light – structural glass or glass paver blocks?
Since the structural glass floor comes in larger sections than the 8" x 8" x 1" glass pavers they provide more light.
4.) How can I protect someone with wet shoes from slipping?
Structural glass floors are made with glass ceramic frit pattern at the top to minimize any chance of slipping. Glass pavers have an anti-skid pattern built into the top of the unit.
5.) Can the floor be illuminated?
Absolutely- illumination under a glass floor creates the ultimate wow factor. Customers have used LED, florescent and low voltage lighting to make the glass floor an even more dramatic feature
6.) What sizes are the structural glass floor pieces and glass pavers available in?
Structural glass pieces can be made in virtually any size or shape (but the heaviest panel is usually limited to 300 lbs.). Lengths and widths of the panels can be varied depending on recommendations from our design staff. Glass pavers come in one size – 8" x 8" x 1".
7.) Can the glass surface scratch?
Our glass is a hard surface which is scratch resistant by design – but it is possible to scratch. To minimize the effects of scratching we use a ceramic glass frit surface on the top of the floor or stair treads.
8.) How heavy are the structural glass pieces?
These units weight 11.7 lbs per square foot. So a 2' x 3' section (6 square feet x 11.7) would weight about 70 lbs.
9.) How are the glass stair treads supported?
Specially designed aluminum brackets provide the perfect place to house these durable glass stair treads.
Installation of glass floors
- The perimeter members are put into place into a prepared opening.
- Install the spanning members for the first row and then spacer as needed.
- Apply pre-cut extruded silicone cushions to the sides of each grid before setting the glass in place. Mask the edges of each glass panel to prevent damage and assure a neat installation.
- Apply silicone sealant around each glass unit.
Installation of glass block paver system
- The perimeter members are put into place into a prepared opening. This opening can be prepared into wood, steel, aluminum supporting structures.
- Install the spanners for the first row and then spacer as needed.
- Insert the glass pavers into the rubber boots and set the units into the grid.
- Apply silicone sealant around each paver.
Structural Glass Floors Pavers & Stair Treads
Structural glass floors, bridges, landings and stair treads can add light in lower level spaces and provide a unique design element in a commercial, retail space or residential home. Our structural glass systems include large structural glass planks, glass block pavers and the supporting framework.