Benefits of Glass Block Shower Walls & Shower Pans
Style and looks. Glass block showers have been described as cool, clean, and contemporary.
Easy cleaning. Multiple patterns make it very hard to see spotting on the glass block's surface. These shower blocks can be cleaned with soap and water or window cleaners.
Walk in glass block showers eliminate the need for a door. This will save you money for a shower door.
Durability and eco-friendliness. Glass block prefabricated shower panels are put together with a horizontal and vertical vinyl stacking system and then field grouted with a small 1/8" grout joint. They have excellent durability and are a sustainable product.
Increased privacy. Obscure wave and iceberg patterns will allow light transmission and obscure views. With the 'wave' pattern you have a wide range of design options including corners for an 'L-Shaped' glass block walls or a curved blocks for a walk in shower
Design flexibility. Check out the many decorative glass block designs, colors, and frosted glass blocks. Also combine different sized glass blocks to create a 'stained glass' style look with your durable glass block wall.
Purchasing from a company you can trust. Innovate Building Solutions is accredited by the Better Business Bureau and has won Consumers' Choice Award and Angie's List Awards for service. Also - check out our reviews in Google to see how Innovate is rated by your friends and neighbors.
Saving you money (and aggravation) through a comprehensive glass block shower wall fabrication, design and supply (and installation in selective markets). Starting with your design ideas and the size of your bathroom and shower Innovate can help reduce your costs in these 5 ways allation.
- Hire a skilled "one-stop shop." Although some masons and tile setters dabble in glass block shower wall installations, a specialty nationwide wholesaler or contractor who can coordinate and execute your project from beginning to end is best. Innovate can help you with your initial design and layout. Innovate can prefabricate and supply a solid surface shower pan or a ready for tile base which is made to the specifications of your wall sections. Innovate will prefabricate and install (in selected markets) these glass block shower wall sections. Innovate can also supply waterproof PVC or laminate shower wall panels to go with the glass block walls.
- Stack straight, right-angled or curved prefab glass block wall sections. Premade straight and curved glass block walls are easier and less costly to build and install than hiring a mason (if you can find one) to put the wall up block by block. The 'Protect All Vinyl Stacking Spacer System' reduces installation times and make the project doable for a DIY'er or professional contractor who has never done it before.
- Use thinner series glass blocks. Using 3 1/8" thickness glass blocks will not only save you money, but make the wall simpler (and lighter) to install as well. These thinner blocks come in finished ends, curves and 90 degree angles.
- Design a walk-in glass block shower without a door - Eliminate the cost of the door & get rids of the pain of cleaning the door frame, once and for all. .
- Purchase all the accessories you need from one place - Get a standard or custom shower pan designed around your glass blocks. Don't waste time finding stylish shower wall panels, recessed niches, a corner seat, grout, and glass block bathroom window . Innovate can help design, supply, and install (in our regional markets) so that everything works together seamlessly. And if you're not in our regional market we can guide you (or your contractors) through the details for a successful project.
Improving function by adding a solid surface shower pan, stylish shower wall panels or shower accessories. With our glass block shower kits you can not only get a custom stone shower pan (or ready for tile base) with your prefabricated glass block wall sections, but also soap and shampoo niches, bench or corner seat, a towel bar and more.
Free design and technical installation assistance. Most people ar installing their first glass block shower. They don't know how to use the curved blocks, or how large to make the shower opening or the height of a step up shower curb for the block wall. Let an Innovate Design Specialist help you through the details (and the frustrations) of doing this project for the first time.
Free shipping. We offer free shipping nationwide for glass block shower kits and pre-fabricated wall sections, with no hidden fees or costs. We ship anywhere in the United States, from Washington to Texas to New York to Florida.
- Glass Block Designs
Glass Block Shower Designs For Walk-In Showers - Product Options
Selecting the right glass block shower kit will be simplified when you follow these 5 steps:
- Step 1 – Design
- Step 2 – Choose the right glass blocks
- Step 3 – Choose the right standard or custom shower pan
- Step 4 – Choose the best prefabrication system
- Step 5 – Follow the installation steps
Step 1 – Design
Creating a glass block shower begins with a design which will work for you and your family – now and into the future. Innovate can help you through in this process - without any cost to you. Here's some key glass block shower design consideratons you need to consider:
- How much space is there for you shower?
- Do you want a walk in shower or one with a shower door?
- Will the shower be in the corner of the room (and need two glass block walls) or will it be an alcove shower (with one wall in the front?)
- Do you want keep the drain or shower heads in the same place? If so, will you need a custom shower pan? Do you want a standard square or round drain - or a wider linear drain?
- Do you want to use thinner glass blocks (which cost less, are lighter to install and have more options for shapes)?
- Would you want to use faux tile grout free shower wall panels to speed the installation process and reduce your ongoing maintenance?
If you need design help (and almost everyone does) send us a sketch (and yes, hand drawn and scribbled on notebook paper is fine) an Innovate Glass Block Shower Specialist would be glad to help.
Step 2 - Choose the right glass blocks for your shower
There are 3 series of glass blocks available:
- Thinner 3 1/8” series in American sizes – Most cost effective with less weight and most design options.
- Choose specialty colored blocks in metric sizes.
- Choose frosted or etched glass designs in American or Metric sizes .
Thinner 3 1/8” Glass Block Series for Shower WallsNew Item!
Thinner Glass Block Series for Shower Walls
Consider using 3 1/8" thickness blocks to reduce costs and to add design options not available in the 4" thick units. Some of the advantages of these blocks include:
- More cost effective than 'old-series' 4" thick blocks and the internationally inpsired metric designer blocks.
- Lighter weight – easier to maneuver and install.
- Increased design options – available in traditional "Wave" pattern and decorator patterns..
- Provide more room inside the shower – An important factor for tub to glass block shower conversion is to maximize the insider space. Thinner glass blocks accomplish this goal. .
- 'Protect All Vinyl Stacking' prefabricated wall systems available to reduce installation time and improve finished quality.
- Blocks are available in Wave and Clear (on a limited basis) patterns in finished ends, rounded blocks for curves (called "Radial" blocks for 22 1/2 degree angles), and 90 degree angle glass blocks (called "Veer" blocks).
Metric Series Glass Blocks for Shower Walls
These international metric series glass blocks offer the widest range of patterns and colors. While they will be more expensive than the American series glass blocks, they offer exciting design possibilities.
- Fun colored glass blocks for a dramatic design.
- Designer series glass blocks to create glass block shower walls with themes focused around Modern Art styles, beach themes and even contempory inspired linear angle and circular designs. .
- Save installation time with the Protect All Vinyl Stacking System and premade standard and custom shower pans for glass blocks.
- Finished end blocks (in clear and colored block designs) provide a smooth outside edge for your glass block walls.
Frosted & Etched Glass Blocks (in American Or Metric Sizes)
Why not make your shower unique by adding specialty touches – including frosted or a one of a kind laser etched glass block mural? Innovate Building Solutions has the widest range of options available. Why not make a design as distincitve as you?
- Specialty blocks are available in multiple sizes, shapes and patterns.
- Small minimum order quantities.
- Custom design assistance.
- Etched murals are available for a custom look.
- Can be used in prefabricated wall sections.
(Note: Find Step 3 in 'Choose the right glass block shower base' in the next tab)
- Shower Pans
Step 3 - Choose the right glass block shower base
Since the shower base is the “foundation” of your glass block shower – the selection of the right system is critical. Learn below advantages and disadvantages of the 3 most popular glass block shower systems – ready for tile, acrylic and solid surface bases. Choose from both standard sized and custom sized bases.
Custom sized ready for tile shower base kits
100% Waterproof Expanded Polystyrene Walk-In Shower Base and Accessory System
The ready for tile shower base is available in standard and custom sizes and is made of 100% waterproof expanded polystyrene. It has no seams and is light and quick to install.
- 100% waterproof polystyrene walk-in shower base eliminates the potential for water leaks and growth of mold and mildew.
- Reduced installation timeof less than 30 minutes leads to reduce labor costs.
- Trowel out common modified-latex thinset.
- Run a bead of silicone around the drain body.
- Install the pre-designed and pre-slopped pan.
- Choice of drain location saves you from having to rework your plumbing to accommodate a pre-determined drain location. We put the drain where it works best for you.
- Custom base for non-standard sizes and walk-in and roll-in showers allows you to design to suit your needs. Custom bases can be manufactured to fit any shower size or shape (with straight, rounded, or angled walls), either with a curb or without, for barrier-free entry.
- Seamless design enhances waterproofing and incorporates accessories and features. We install wallboard inside the base to eliminate leakage, at a lower cost than a custom designed solid surface base.
- Accessory System A recessed soap dish, shampoo caddy, and shower and bench seats are available for a complete system.
- Initial purchase costs are slightly higher than a mud-set pan.
Standard Size Acrylic Glass Block Shower Base Kits
Our pre-formed acrylic bases work well for bath-to-shower conversions and are available in three sizes. Two fit in the space of a typical bathtub, while the largest size is more expansive. Our kits offer the versatility of either right-hand or left-hand entry, are available in white or biscuit, and feature either the Icescapes, Decora or Wave patterns. They are only available in the standard sizes shown below.
- One-piece acrylic base minimizes concerns about water leakage.
- Acrylic won’t crack, chip, peel, or fade.
- The installation of a kit necessitates less project coordination than assembling separate components. (Note: Bases can be custom-made of other solid-surface materials, like Corian.)
- Our pre-formed acrylic bases only come in three sizes (72” x 51”, 60” x 34”, and 60” x 32”), none of which might fit your particular project.
- It can be difficult to get some bases into remodeled homes.
- More expensive than mud-set pans.
Custom Solid Surface Glass Block Shower Base & Kits
Our solid surface glass block shower bases are made by combining aluminum trihydrate crystals with specially formulated resins which add flexibility and strength. The result is a durable, grout free shower base with a wide variety of color, shape and finish options.
Custom bases can be designed for any type of design – curved, straight or angle walls. Whether you want to create a walk in shower or design with a curve - a solid surface base can be created for you.
Different curb options are available including low profile, a built in ramp for an accessible handicap shower design or a full height curb.
All bases are a single unit for a worry free easy installation.
100% waterproof designs eliminates the worry of water leaks or the growth of mold or mildew.
Grout free shower wall panels, accessories and trim moldings are available to compliment your base and prefabricated glass block wall.
There is no finishing material needed over the base – this saves money vs. having to add tile to the surface – and reduces maintenance over the long run.
Solid surface bases are heavier than acrylic and ready for tile shower pans.
These bases are generally more expensive than acrylic and ready for tile units.
(Note: Find Steps 4 & 5 in 'Choose the right glass block prefabrication system' in the next tab)
Step 4 - Choosing the right glass block prefabrication system
For the professional contractor or the DIY’er our “Protect All” vinyl stacking prefabricated glass block shower wall sections will provide the following benefits:
- Reduce the installation time
- Make it possible for a “first-timer” to do a dramatic glass block wall
- Cut installation costs
- Improve finished quality
- Reduce the grout joint sizes to 1/8”
- Increase wall sturdiness
- Eliminate the chance of rusted wire in a wall
Check out our installation videos in the 'Video' tab above.
Step 5 - Follow the installation steps
The best way to learn about this installation is to watch the 3 shower wall and base installation videos in the last tab in this section. Included below you’ll find some images of key steps in the process.
Glass Block Shower Installation Details
Frequently Asked Questions
1.) What are the different advantages of a doorless glass blcok shower and one with a door?
Showers with doors work better in smaller areas or where you want to create a closed space, such as in a steam room. Walk-in glass block showers offer ease of cleaning and facilitate walk-in or roll-in access.
2.) What type of pan do I need?
The three most common types of panes are (A) one-piece expanded polystyrene (B) pre-formed acrylic and solid surface and (C) custom mud-set pans.
3.) What sizes, shapes, and colors of glass blocks do you carry?
We carry various sizes, shapes, and patterns of glass block to fit your space and design requirements. Frosted and colored glass blocks can also add impact and flair to a wall.
4.) How tall should I make my glass block shower?
Most walls are 80" high (and built on a 4" to 5" shower curb), making the finished height 84" (equal to where the shower head usually is).
5.) Should I have my walls built on site or arrive prefabricated?
Straight and rounded walls can often be pre-fabricated to save money, improve quality, and reduce installation time. Purchasing a base specifically designed for the premade walls will ensure a successful project.
6.) What materials should I use for the interior walls? Should the blocks be installed before my interior walls?
Cement board or extruded polystyrene waterproof backer board are used most frequently. For a more luxurious look, consider tile, marble, or other solid surface materials. To keep costs lower, consider acrylic wall surrounds. In most cases, glass blocks are installed after the other wall materials.
7.) How can I add a unique style to the glass block walls?
Use color, frost, or do one-of-a-kind laser etching for a unique design.
8.) How do I finish the end of a glass block wall?
The end can either be finished with "finished-end" blocks, double-end blocks, or style caps.
9.) How do I finish the top of the curb in a ready-for-tile shower?
The curb can be finished with cultured marble, ceramic tile, or with marble or granite stone.
Glass Block Shower Design Ideas
- Visit Our YouTube Channel »
Glass Block Shower Videos
To view all of the videos in this playlist, click the list icon at the top left of the player and select the video(s) you are most interested in.
Glass Block Shower & Walk-In Design Kits
A glass block shower can provide a clean, contemporary look which makes cleaning a breeze. Learn how Innovate Building Solutions provides a one-stop solution with a broad line of prefabricated glass block shower kits. These kits include premade glass block shower panels (using the Protect All Prefabricated Wall Panel System), standard and custom shower pans, and grout free shower wall panels.
With these glass block shower kits you'll take your bathroom remodel to the next level - all while simplifying the installation and design details you (or your contractor) have to try to figure out on the fly. If you're looking for glass block walk in shower kits and ideas so you don't need to figure this project out on your own - you've come to the right place.